Christmas is officially 11 days away, and I can proudly say that I am
100% Prepared for the Jolly ole Man to come plopping down my chimney. I am done shopping, done wrapping, and done shipping!
And I cannot wait to have our very first Christmas alone! It will be an interesting experience. No where to go, no one to visit, just a long quiet day in our jammies, playing with toys! I'm stoked, tho if I think about our families, I want to cry. We miss them!
Anywho!
I found this
Robert Kaufman Fabric Zig Zag Chevron Multi Color Rainbow Hot Pink Green Yellow Blue
at local fabric store, but it can also be found at fabric.com or etsy.
I bought the doll stroller used for $3 back in August. It is in perfect condition other than the material for the seat was stained and gross. So as soon as I saw this fabric I new exactly what I wanted to use it for. And because Azure is obsessed with her babies lately I thought it would be fun to also make a matching baby carrier. My mom made my sister and I one when we were little and we LOVED them!
But as I was trying to find a pattern or tutorial, I couldn't find one, well that was FREE anyways, and because I am on a tight budget for Christmas I was not going to pay $10 for a pattern when I didn't even spend half of that on the fabric! So here we go...
Now I will mention AGAIN that I am not an expert sewer. Is that ever a word? Sewer? hmm. But I am not great, I am still learning. So I am sure that some of you might have better ways and ideas of doing this.
This is what you will need:
1/2 yard Main Fabric (or this would be a great Fat Quarter project in which you would need 2 FQ's)
1/4 yard Coordinating Fabric
4 inches wide elastic (optional)
Baby doll as guide
Flannel or Batting
 |
| Meet Gertrude! |
First lay out your fabric with the right side facing up. Fold fabric over so that right sides are facing. *Note: I did it backwards in the photo to show off this cute pattern! :)
Lay your Gertrude down on the fabric and determine how big you want the carrier to be. In this case I cut just above the head and the fabric went just past her knees. Then about 2 inches wider than the baby. Which made for measurements of 8.5 x 11.
After cutting, take one of the sides and use it as a template to cut a piece of flannel to go between to add durability. Once your flannel is cut lay your pieces together with main fabric laying right sides together with flannel on top. Fold in half hotdog style. Now you are going to round off the corners. I found it easiest by using a square Tupperware bowl with rounded corners. Trace. Cut.
Now cut out 1 Belly Strap measuring 17 1/2 x 4 inches wide (if you plan on using elastic). If you plan on bypassing the elastic then cut the Belly Strap to 20 inches x 4 inches. Fold Strap in half so that it is 10 x 4 with right sides together. Sew the 2 long edges leaving an opening for flipping. Once flipped, sew opening closed.
* If you are wanting to add an applique (turquoise heart) Cut it out and sew in place before sewing the Belly Strap. So that the back of the stitch is on the inside.
Next take your coordinating fabric and cut out 4 Strips 14 x 2 1/2. These will be the doll's harness straps. Place them right sides together and sew along 3 sides. Flip. Stitch the opening closed. Top stitch around all 4 sides. You will have 2 straps after this.
If you would like a hanging hook cut out a piece that is 5 x 3. Fold in half hotdog style so that it is 2 1/2 x 3. Sew along 2 sides. Flip. Stitch closed. Top Stitch along all 4 sides.
Using your main fabric. Cut 4 Shoulder Straps 20 x 3 inches and do the same as above with the previous straps.
 |
This is what you should have so far: Left: 2 Shoulder Straps. Top: Belly Strap with Applique. Center: Body Base (all 3 layers) Bottom: Hanging Hook. Right: Harness Straps.
|
Take Gert and lay her on the Front piece of the Base Fabric. Take the Harness Straps and position where best fits. Pin in place. Stitch the straps to the fabric.
Once the Straps are in place. Take the Belly Strap. If choosing to use elastic attache 2 pieces to each side of the Belly Strap. Then pin to edge of the Base and Stitch. Don't forget to take Gert out of the carrier before sewing. :)
If NOT using elastic, Stitch the edges of the Belly Strap to the edge of the Base.
I missed this next step, so LISTEN UP! This is why I am sharing this Tut, I have lived and learned with this so I'm trying to help you avoid it. But Take the BACK piece of the Base and fold the top edge over 1/4 inch and stitch a hem. Then you are going to attach the Hanging Hook like shown in the picture.
Then take the Shoulder Straps and pin them in place on the BACK piece of the carrier. With the ends folded over and attached to the WRONG side of the Fabric.
Next take the BACK, FRONT, and FLANNEL pieces of the carrier and Lay them in this order: FRONT and BACK Facing each other. With all of the extras tucked in. You want to let the Hook, and Tops of the Straps hang out at the top. Next Take your Flannel and Lay on top of the sandwich. Pin all pieces together. Notice at the Top where the Straps connect, make sure the flannel is on the outside of the strap. This prevents the flannel from poking out of the seem when finished.
Stitch the sides and bottom closed, leaving the top open for flipping. Flip.
Stitch the opening closed and Top Stitch around the entire Carrier's base.
Snip off any leftover strings.
I just can't wait til Azure opens this! I hope she LOVES it as much as I do!!!!!!!
Here is the stroller... Like I said, stained and GROSS! But Silly Me, I can't find the pictures that I
KNOW I took, while redoing this. So for now you might have to wait til Christmas to see the finished product.... Yes, it is already wrapped!!!
But all I did with this was use the old fabric as my template. And I also used the original seat belt. I just cut it off and put it on the new one. But I used the same Chevron fabric as above and used a turquoise fabric for the binding.
If you plan on doing this and don't plan on keeping the old fabric. Then just unstitch it and that will make it easier for creating your shapes. This was super easy, and seriously took me about an hour. Granted it could have been a lot shorter of time had I waited til nap time to pull out the sewing machine.
When I don't I have a really great helper sewing on my lap!
Christmas is officially 11 days away, and I can proudly say that I am
100% Prepared for the Jolly ole Man to come plopping down my chimney. I am done shopping, done wrapping, and done shipping!
And I cannot wait to have our very first Christmas alone! It will be an interesting experience. No where to go, no one to visit, just a long quiet day in our jammies, playing with toys! I'm stoked, tho if I think about our families, I want to cry. We miss them!
Anywho!
I found this
Robert Kaufman Fabric Zig Zag Chevron Multi Color Rainbow Hot Pink Green Yellow Blue
at local fabric store, but it can also be found at fabric.com or etsy.
I bought the doll stroller used for $3 back in August. It is in perfect condition other than the material for the seat was stained and gross. So as soon as I saw this fabric I new exactly what I wanted to use it for. And because Azure is obsessed with her babies lately I thought it would be fun to also make a matching baby carrier. My mom made my sister and I one when we were little and we LOVED them!
But as I was trying to find a pattern or tutorial, I couldn't find one, well that was FREE anyways, and because I am on a tight budget for Christmas I was not going to pay $10 for a pattern when I didn't even spend half of that on the fabric! So here we go...
Now I will mention AGAIN that I am not an expert sewer. Is that ever a word? Sewer? hmm. But I am not great, I am still learning. So I am sure that some of you might have better ways and ideas of doing this.
This is what you will need:
1/2 yard Main Fabric (or this would be a great Fat Quarter project in which you would need 2 FQ's)
1/4 yard Coordinating Fabric
4 inches wide elastic (optional)
Baby doll as guide
Flannel or Batting
 |
| Meet Gertrude! |
First lay out your fabric with the right side facing up. Fold fabric over so that right sides are facing. *Note: I did it backwards in the photo to show off this cute pattern! :)
Lay your Gertrude down on the fabric and determine how big you want the carrier to be. In this case I cut just above the head and the fabric went just past her knees. Then about 2 inches wider than the baby. Which made for measurements of 8.5 x 11.
After cutting, take one of the sides and use it as a template to cut a piece of flannel to go between to add durability. Once your flannel is cut lay your pieces together with main fabric laying right sides together with flannel on top. Fold in half hotdog style. Now you are going to round off the corners. I found it easiest by using a square Tupperware bowl with rounded corners. Trace. Cut.
Now cut out 1 Belly Strap measuring 17 1/2 x 4 inches wide (if you plan on using elastic). If you plan on bypassing the elastic then cut the Belly Strap to 20 inches x 4 inches. Fold Strap in half so that it is 10 x 4 with right sides together. Sew the 2 long edges leaving an opening for flipping. Once flipped, sew opening closed.
* If you are wanting to add an applique (turquoise heart) Cut it out and sew in place before sewing the Belly Strap. So that the back of the stitch is on the inside.
Next take your coordinating fabric and cut out 4 Strips 14 x 2 1/2. These will be the doll's harness straps. Place them right sides together and sew along 3 sides. Flip. Stitch the opening closed. Top stitch around all 4 sides. You will have 2 straps after this.
If you would like a hanging hook cut out a piece that is 5 x 3. Fold in half hotdog style so that it is 2 1/2 x 3. Sew along 2 sides. Flip. Stitch closed. Top Stitch along all 4 sides.
Using your main fabric. Cut 4 Shoulder Straps 20 x 3 inches and do the same as above with the previous straps.
 |
This is what you should have so far: Left: 2 Shoulder Straps. Top: Belly Strap with Applique. Center: Body Base (all 3 layers) Bottom: Hanging Hook. Right: Harness Straps.
|
Take Gert and lay her on the Front piece of the Base Fabric. Take the Harness Straps and position where best fits. Pin in place. Stitch the straps to the fabric.
Once the Straps are in place. Take the Belly Strap. If choosing to use elastic attache 2 pieces to each side of the Belly Strap. Then pin to edge of the Base and Stitch. Don't forget to take Gert out of the carrier before sewing. :)
If NOT using elastic, Stitch the edges of the Belly Strap to the edge of the Base.
I missed this next step, so LISTEN UP! This is why I am sharing this Tut, I have lived and learned with this so I'm trying to help you avoid it. But Take the BACK piece of the Base and fold the top edge over 1/4 inch and stitch a hem. Then you are going to attach the Hanging Hook like shown in the picture.
Then take the Shoulder Straps and pin them in place on the BACK piece of the carrier. With the ends folded over and attached to the WRONG side of the Fabric.
Next take the BACK, FRONT, and FLANNEL pieces of the carrier and Lay them in this order: FRONT and BACK Facing each other. With all of the extras tucked in. You want to let the Hook, and Tops of the Straps hang out at the top. Next Take your Flannel and Lay on top of the sandwich. Pin all pieces together. Notice at the Top where the Straps connect, make sure the flannel is on the outside of the strap. This prevents the flannel from poking out of the seem when finished.
Stitch the sides and bottom closed, leaving the top open for flipping. Flip.
Stitch the opening closed and Top Stitch around the entire Carrier's base.
Snip off any leftover strings.
I just can't wait til Azure opens this! I hope she LOVES it as much as I do!!!!!!!
Here is the stroller... Like I said, stained and GROSS! But Silly Me, I can't find the pictures that I
KNOW I took, while redoing this. So for now you might have to wait til Christmas to see the finished product.... Yes, it is already wrapped!!!
But all I did with this was use the old fabric as my template. And I also used the original seat belt. I just cut it off and put it on the new one. But I used the same Chevron fabric as above and used a turquoise fabric for the binding.
If you plan on doing this and don't plan on keeping the old fabric. Then just unstitch it and that will make it easier for creating your shapes. This was super easy, and seriously took me about an hour. Granted it could have been a lot shorter of time had I waited til nap time to pull out the sewing machine.
When I don't I have a really great helper sewing on my lap!
No comments:
Post a Comment